Clean power generation
Projects to address this
Bret Victor’s excellent What can a technologist do about climate change? suggests the following software-related projects:
- Control systems for clean power generation machines
- Data gathering and modelling to predict optimal placement of wind and solar generators
- Energy-networking: routing of energy through the grid, especially a future grid that has many fluctuating sources of power
Skills you might want on your team
- Data science
- Networking technology
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
Why this might have exceptional impact
- Scale: Climate change could have very bad or catastrophic long-term consequences for all people on Earth.
- Tractability: Novel technology is often required but there are companies already succeeding in this area.
- Neglectedness: A lot is already spent on climate change, so you’d need to find an unusually neglected sub-problem.